Hello all,

I learned the idea of forming groups (3-4 students in each group) at the
beginning of the semester from The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch. I found
that forming groups at the beginning of the semester helps students to
build a sense of belonging, particularly the shy students who hesitate
to participate in class discussion. The groups are formed by alphabetic
order. It is also a quick way for me to remember students' names. This
way, students get to know each other (at least the group members if not
all), learn to work cooperatively in a group, and conduct in-class
discussions throughout the semester. Although it is informal, sometimes
groups are asked to stand up to share their ideas in front of the whole
class and at the end of the discussion we will talk about group
presentation skills. This is to prepare them for the final group
presentation project that I assign in the middle of the semester.

For the final group project, the groups are formed based on their
interests on the topics that I provide and students sign up. Normally, I
provide broad topics and each group narrows down the topic. Meanwhile,
every group is asked to fill out a sheet including details such as the
outside classroom meeting time, location, and individual assignment
within the group. It counts toward their grades. I keep checking their
progress in the following classes. As for the rules, I ask students to
come up with classroom rules and group rules in the first day of class.
I propose some rules if students did not include them and I require that
every group member must speak up during the group presentation, in-class
discussion group or the final group presentation. I distribute the copy
of the rules to every student in the following class. I found that
students love to make their own rules and I bet some of the students
probably regret the rules they made later. Overall, this has been pretty
effective in my class.

I hope this helps.

Savannah Liangmei Bao, Counselor
Alumni Network Development