FW: Publishing model... FYI, from Chem Educ List. Is this the future, or already history for publishing?
Terry

------ Forwarded Message
From: Roy Jensen <[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 11:48:37 -0500
To: CHEMED-L <[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Publishing model...

A few weeks ago, I promised to post a publishing model that I have
been developing. I would greatly appreciate your thoughts on the
model, specifically flaws in the logic and application.

Please note that I realize that I will need to partner with someone
for some services, but not a 'full-service publisher', for obvious
reasons.

***LICENSING MODEL***

PERSONAL USE: the electronic version (pdf) of Exploring Chemistry is
available FREE FOR PERSONAL USE.

EDUCATIONAL USE: any person or institution that adopts Exploring
Chemistry must pay a per student, per term fee for the electronic
version (pdf).

COMMERCIAL USE: contact to arrange licensing of the electronic version
(pdf).

The bound version will be sold through regular retail outlets (between
80 and 100 $).

***DETAILS***

This model is similar to the model used by many software companies:
free for personal use; commercial users pay.

This model won't work with your average novel or cookbook. Textbooks
are unique in that they are used in localized settings (academic
institutions).

My goals are
• to prepare a quality resource
• to educate the general person about chemistry
• to receive reasonable compensation for my work

PERSONAL: the average person, with a passing interest, isn't going to
spend 80 - 200 $ on a textbook. Yes, there are resources on the
internet; I am just adding mine to that collective. High school
teachers can see what and how students will be learning in first year.
Instructors teaching 200+ level courses can see how a topic was taught
in first year. Giving the pdf away for personal use gives me exposure,
more people will review the text and find errors and/or provide me
with additional examples, and, from a meta perspective, the lay person
gains a little insight into chemistry in the world around them.

Downloaders must enter a valid email address so that I can notify
people when new editions come out, contact them for feedback, etc.

There will be a link at www.ExploringChemistry.com where people can
donate a few $$$ if they are so inclined (akin to the Wikipedia
model).

EDUCATIONAL: the underlying premise for academic institutions is one
of honesty. Institutions will collect and remit a per term textbook
fee for every student registered in the course (possibly include the
cost in materials fees, etc.). The institution will receive a
customized pdf for distribution to their students.

Both students and instructors will have access to the ancillary
resources (ppt presentation, solution's manual, videos, etc.) on
www.ExploringChemistry.com. Anyone can register and get 'student'
access. (For privacy, only the student's name, institution, and email
are required for registration.) Access to the instructor resources
requires additional verification.

I was thinking 25 $ per student per academic term. In programs where
only one term of chemistry is required, the cost is 25 $. Where two
terms are required, 50 $. When the student fails and takes it again
and again, they pay again and again. (Hey, the institution collects
tuition for all these terms!) These funds would compensate me, pay for
additional online services (tutorials, which I will contract out), and
pay for additional resources (programs, videos, images, etc.).

Of course, once they complete the course, students fall into the
'personal' category and get the latest version for free.

There may be instructors trying to bypass the system, but that is
where the internet and website are great: students who register on the
website give their institution. If several come from the same
institution, then it is worth investigating. The textbook information
for the course is readily available by contacting the institution
bookstore, department, and/or the instructors' course outline. A nice
demand letter to the department, a letter to their administration, a
letter to the local and student papers, and lawyers would be the
escalation profile. If people include passages from my text in their
custom resources -- plagiarism -- services like www.copyscape.com will
find them. Also
www.writingconsultation.com/copyscape-and-other-plagiarism-checkers/

Random audits -- asking for a formal declaration of the number of
students registered in the given courses -- will keep institutions
honest. Additionally, copyright law also allows for penalties well
above the per item cost (statutory damages) and I heard that flagrant
violation of copyright legislation in the US is a felony(?).

COMMERCIAL: (I really can't think of a commercial application of a
textbook, other than instruction.) Most likely, an individual would
fall under the PERSONAL model while training courses would fall under
the EDUCATIONAL model.

Assuming people are honest is a refreshing change to today's corporate
mentality. This saves the hassle of trying to secure an electronic
document -- the music and video industry has FAILED dismally at this
and many people say that it is impossible to do. Money must be spent
investigating and recovering monies owed, but then you also have
penalties and damages. Academic institutions don't generally like the
publicity associated with being sued.

My pricing is *way below* what publishers are charging for one-year
online access, which ranges from 80-120 $ for a general chemistry
textbook. (Visit www.CoursesMart.com and look at the chemistry
etexts.) CafeScribe (www.cafescribe.com) actually sells permanent
electronic licenses for use with their reader -- much like a generic
Kindle -- I'm impressed.

Other thoughts...
The pdf will be protected to prevent copying of text and images. The
image resolution will be decreased. Not sure about preventing
printing, which will only stop the honest.

Not sure how to handle instructors who list Exploring Chemistry as an
'optional resource'.

This will work with the North American educational model, but not sure
about other countries. I understand that some European countries just
have dozens of copies of the several textbooks in the library and
students use whichever text they like.

Thanks for reading. Your thoughts?

 Dr. Roy Jensen
 Chemistry, Grant MacEwan University
 VP Professional Affairs, MacEwan Faculty Association
 Room 5-172J, 10700-104 Avenue
 Edmonton, AB    T5J 4S2
 780.633.3915

------ End of Forwarded Message