TBers,

Reminder that the last TB of the year will be Dec. 1, 8 am, Starbucks in the Hunt College Union.

I just finish reading Nicolas Carr's new book The Shallows: What the Internet is Doing to Our Brains?.   In it, he makes a compelling case that the fragmented media of today's Internet is fundamentally changing our brains.  He covers the topic pretty well (from my uneducated perspective), moving from working memory/long term memory issues, to  how we react to different formats.  Faculty that study reading tell me there may be something to this.   They point out the numerous studies suggesting that reading from paper is a cognitive process, while reading from the screen is more a visual process.  Of course generalizing this complex process is always risky.   I'm curious....

    Do you expect your students to read  "from the screen" ?
    Do you suggest to them, they print things out before reading them, and if so why? If not, why not?
    Do you have an anecdotal information that suggests one approach might be better than another?

Hope to see you all Dec. 1.  Until then, don't each too much.

blog: The 32nd Square at http://32ndsquare.blogspot.com
wiki: The 32nd Square at http://32ndsquare.wikidot.com
IM:  oneontatltc

P Think before you print! Please consider the environment before printing this email