FERPA allows students to evaluate each other's work.  Our own local
policies go well beyond FERPA requirements.

Education records are currently defined as records that are directly
related to a ³student² and maintained by an ³educational agency or
institution²
or by a party acting for the agency or institution.

(Owasso Indep. Sch.
Dist. No. I-011 v. Falvo, 534 U.S. 426 (2002)).

grades on studentsı papers
are not ³maintained² under the definition of ³education records² and,
therefore, would not be covered under FERPA at least until the teacher has
collected and recorded them in the teacherıs grade book, a decision
consistent
with the Departmentıs longstanding position on peer-grading. The Court
rejected
assertions that students were ³parties acting for² an institution when they
scored each otherıs work and that the student papers were, at that stage,
³maintained² within the meaning of FERPA.

Dr. J. Nepkie
SUNY Distinguished Service Professor
Professor of Music and Music Industry
Fine Arts 145