Q: Where does this put the current TA set up?

On 2/14/11 8:54 AM, "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Steve,

One thing that we're considering as part of the redesign of CADE is Supplemental Instruction (SI).  The Supplemental Instruction model might provide some of the structured peer-to-peer contact you're looking for.  The idea is that highly trained students would work closely with the professor, attend the course, and then hold outside-of-class sessions in which they would enrich the students' understanding with additional examples, review, practice, etc.   There is an institute for Supplemental Instruction at UMKC:  http://www.umkc.edu/cad/si/overview.shtml.

In colleges/universities where this method is used, supplemental (peer) instructors are rigorously trained, and they receive credit for their work.  Some academic programs (such as the psychology program at Bridgewater University) are even building service as an SI leader into the curriculum for the major (they call it a "practicum").

Supplemental Instruction is pretty standard practice in many schools around the country, so there really shouldn't be any administrative sort of hurdles (FERPA-style).  Again, this is just something we've been talking about, and it's not something we're at all ready to put in place for next school year. It will require lots of background work first.  If you're interested in this, though, give me a call.

Amy Crouse-Powers

Amy Crouse-Powers
Interim Coordinator
Center for Academic Development & Enrichment
215 Alumni Hall
436-2819
SUNY Oneonta

P Think before you print! Please consider the environment before printing this email