Presenter: Karen Bull - Onondaga Community College
Date: September 16, 2011
Time: 11:30 am – 12:30 pm EST
Location: Online via Elluminate
COST:  Free - CPD members
            $50.00 – Non Members

Most faculty care about learning and would like to teach in ways that promote it. It is the instructional designer’s job to produce change at the level of practice and in order to do so we need to translate what we know about learning into concrete instructional policies and practices. Typically, an online course for our campus follows this pattern; slideshow mini-lecture, discussion forum post, drop box writing assignment, and a final exam at the end of each module, then REPEAT. This style of teaching is monotonous, tedious and boring not only for the instructor but for students as well. Imagine grading 30 summary essays on the book, The Scarlet Letter. The essay content will be the same for all 30 students. Now imagine if students are given the choice to summarize the book through the use of a multimedia presentation (i.e., slideshow, movie, audio, etc.). This is a shift to what is called, “learner-centered teaching.”
For more details…<http://guest.cvent.com/EVENTS/Info/Summary.aspx?e=b66b0d19-e98b-464c-ae5b-5136f394f2d0>

Developing Strong Relationships with Online Students
Presenter: Dr. Daniel Smith - University at Buffalo