Hi,
I always enjoying reading the discussions and like the different opinions of all of you. I like the professors at Oneonta. That’s why I want to be on the list even I left.
Here is my different opinion today:
I agree the article did a good job in pointing out the fact of the two-tier professoriate, poverty of faculties, and low teaching quality in some areas. I wish the situation get better as a faculty myself!
However, I think the author is scapegoating minority faculties. The author did not explain how much money, time and resources the administrators put in diversifying faculties which could be used to avoid hiring of adjunct at low payment, or to increase teaching quality. The equation is not right.  In other words, I don’t think the diversifying faculty is  the real reason for the poverty of educators. Do you really believe that if the universities start to hire all white male faculties, the low salary adjunct faculties, low teaching quality will disappear? I wish the solution is that simple.
Have a good weekend.

Cuiting

Cuiting Li, Ph. D
Assistant Professor
Department of Health Promotion and Human Development
University of Wisconsin at Stevens Point
Stevens Point, WI 54481
Tel: 715-346-4082