Tbers,

This was recently forwarded to me by Dr. K.   Let's discuss at our first meeting of the new year.  Perhaps the TB group can help foster discussions campus wide?

Jim G.

http://chronicle.com/article/Lets-Improve-Learning-OK/130179/

Dear folks,

I thought you might be interested in this article. Among other things, it cites findings from the National Study of Student Engagement about the 10 "high impact practices" that increase student engagement, and it draws the following conclusions from the Wabash National Study, which has tracked more than 1700 students' learning and development in different institutional settings.

"The study found, however, four clusters of practices that make a drastic difference to students' growth in both academic and nonacademic areas: good teaching and high-quality interactions with faculty; academic challenge and high expectations; diversity experiences; and higher-order, integrative, reflective learning.
"If one looks more closely at the components of these clusters, one finds not the usual bromides about accessible teachers and a supportive educational environment, but specific forms of interaction that evidence shows are truly effective. These practices, moreover, are not the exclusive domain of prestigious and affluent institutions, nor are they especially expensive to adopt. Much depends on the expectations institutions set for their students and for themselves, and on their determination to allocate time and other resources where they make a demonstrable difference, and pare them back when they don't."
I would welcome your thoughts about how to foster this discussion on campus.
Best regards,
Nancy

Nancy Kleniewski
President, SUNY Oneonta