Hi Jim,

T&P angst is usually driven by uncertainty regarding two things: 1) questions and uncertainty about process and 2) questions and uncertainty about performance.

Regarding the first, one of the Fundamental Elements of Standard 10 under Middle States Characteristics of Excellence is

An accredited institution is expected to possess or demonstrate the following attributes or activities:

published and implemented standards and procedures for all faculty and other professionals, for actions such as appointment, promotion, tenure, grievance, discipline and dismissal, based on principles of fairness with due regard for the rights of all persons;

The College must demonstrate full compliance with all Fundamental Elements including the one above.  (Accreditation is a good thing!!).

The second item, questions about performance, is more challenging because there aren’t any guarantees regarding tenure.  Faculty members seeking tenure often want to know “exactly” what they need to do, performance-wise, to earn tenure.  However, it isn’t possible to provide the level of detail they desire.  They are looking for certainty where certainty can’t be given.  Any clarity we attempt to bring to the process is usually considered too vague.  Read Joanne’s list for example, which is great advice, yet note how vague it is regarding performance standards.  A faculty member could do all the things on that list and all of our lists and still not be granted tenure or promotion.   It is the nature of the beast.  As a consequence, our responses to your inquiry are always going to be general advice which if followed will increase the likelihood of tenure and promotion but will not assure it.

So, my advice regarding the tenure and promotion process is:

1.      Find out from official sources (your department chair, deans, human resources, etc) the standards and procedures for T&P and don’t rely on information received from peers who are often misinformed about T&P standards and procedures.  Document everything that can impact T&P!

2.      Seek the advice and mentoring of those who will be evaluating your performance and qualification for T&P, particularly colleagues in your department, regularly and frequently.

3.      Seek the advice and mentoring of any faculty in your department who have recently been awarded T&P.  Ask to see their T&P materials. Pay particular attention to the recommendation letters in their T&P materials in order to get a good idea of what others thought of their performance.

4.      Seek the advice of any faculty from another department who has recently been awarded T&P.  Ask to see their T&P materials. Pay particular attention to the recommendation letters in their T&P materials in order to get a good idea of what others thought of their performance.

5.      Appropriately and adequately respond to recommendations for improvement derived from the evaluations associated with the reappointment process.

Cheers,

Bill

William R. Proulx, Ph.D., R.D.

Associate Professor of Nutrition and Dietetics

Department of Human Ecology

205 D Human Ecology

607-436-2147