Jim and Janet,

you are right, as a campus we NEED to adress this issue - and both sides need to be discussed: jumping on past bandwaggons is always tricky, and our mission and staffing is so driven by residential college plans - more so than at other colleges. How can we survive as a residential college in such a climate, and what kind of courses will replace our own courses in this envrionment? I refer to the Senator repaorts regarding Canton and others which are aggressively marketing their courese as easier and cheaper alternatives to our understanding of education.

Best

Achim

From: Teaching Breakfast List [[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Nepkie, Janet
Sent: Saturday, July 28, 2012 6:17 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: SUNY BA/BS degrees- proposed online degree programs

Jim,
Thanks very much for having forwarded this email from Greg Ketcham.   I was present when  Provost Lavallee made the remarks described below  and Greg's summary is quite accurate.
I think that the questions Greg has asked are logical and offer interesting options for our campus.

SUNY plans to increase online education opportunities.  Oneonta has traditionally offered only a small percent of its courses online, and some departments have, at least in the past, refused to accept transfer credits if the credits were earned online.

If SUNY Oneonta wants to be part of the new "SUNY BA/BS" types of degrees, I expect we'll need to give some new thought to our residency requirements.  I look forward to discussion of these topics, both online and at our Teaching Breakfast meetings.
Thanks,
Janet

Dr. J. Nepkie

NEW EMAIL ADDRESS