TBers,

We haven't talked much about MOOCs, but I thought folks on this list might be interested in this invitation.

Anne Derryberry, one of the presenters from day 3 of the SLN SOLsummit last week (http://slnsolsummit2013.edublogs.org/about/day-3/), has invited us to participate in a Games Based Learning MOOC that begins soon. Please share this invitation with anyone you think would be interested.

One of her clients at Sage Road is the Colorado Community College System. She did a project for them a couple of years ago when their president wanted to launch a games-for-learning initiative. One of the proposals that came forward was to design and run a MOOC focused on game-based learning (not teaching people how to build games, but how to use games to teach other subjects). They ran the MOOC last semester, to great reviews. Now, they are getting ready to run it again. She thought the members of SLN might be interested in participating, or even just checking it out.

Below is the information on the Games Based Learning MOOC starting March 18th.

Best,

Alex
Alexandra M. Pickett
Associate Director, SUNY Learning Network
The State University of New York
State University Plaza - Albany, New York 12246
Tel: 518.320.1393    Fax: 518.320.1554
Share what you know! Engage - Join - Connect
Be a part of Generation SUNY: Facebook Twitter – YouTube

Please join us and invite your colleagues! The Games MOOC Spring 2013 signup is now open! http://bit.ly/gamesmooc

The Games MOOC begins on March 18 and runs until April 22, 2013. http://gamesmooc.shivtr.com/

The theme is “Build the Game“ using Apps, AR and ARGs. The focus will be creating a game or gaming project for your course.
The Games MOOC is an online six week professional development course that has optional livestreaming sessions that are also recorded and uploaded to YouTube.

The weekly topics will look something like this. (Adjustments are possible)

  • Week 1                 Intro to the Course and Topics
  • Week 2                 Apps and Mobile Possibilities
  • Week 3                 Augmented Reality and Interactive Fiction (sounds fun - right?)
  • Week 4                 Mysteries, Puzzles and Scavenger Hunts
  • Week 5                 Narrative and Storyboarding
  • Week 6                 Creating the Clues & Playing the Game

If you want any additional information or have any questions, please call me at 303-404-5470 or emai l[log in to unmask]

As always – Lurkers Welcome!

Thank you,

Kae Novak
Online Learning
Front Range Community College

P.S.

As a bit of a warm-up, we'll doing a games based learning tweetchat  this Wed at 7 pm MT
on VEJ - The Virtual Education Journal that just came out!
The hashtag for the Games MOOC is #gamemooc

If you’re new to tweetchat just go here for more info on how tweet along with us.http://gamesmooc.shivtr.com/pages/tweetchat

If you haven't taken a look at this issue of VEJ -please do! It’s Game On! - Where you get your information about games based learning and virtual worlds? What is needed? How should we be getting it out? And of course discussion of any of the articles.
Games MOOCers and the Games MOOC were well represented in this issue.
VEJ Game On Issue! http://issuu.com/edovation/docs/vej_2013reduced_for_issue/1