TBers,

How about we have a talk about Open SUNY at tomorrow's TB?

Jim G.

From: Contact Open SUNY [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Tuesday, October 01, 2013 9:07 AM
Subject: Update on Open SUNY and how you can participate

Good morning,

Thank you again for being so generous with your time and honest with your thoughts during the Open SUNY Regional Sessions. We found these sessions immensely helpful in highlighting what you hope Open SUNY to be, and we look forward to using all of your feedback and continued dialogue to further shape the project as we get closer to launch in January.

As promised, we are following-up with some additional information about Open SUNY, outputs from the regional sessions, and potential next steps for how you and your campus can participate in this cross-system effort. There's quite a bit of information to follow, so please bear with us, but we would rather you have lots of information about this important effort rather than not enough.

1. Additional information about Open SUNY

The initial design of Open SUNY is taking shape based on the input and experience of all the SUNY campuses across ten regions; more than 250 members of the SUNY community; the Provost's Open SUNY Advisory Committee; the leadership of faculty governance bodies and system administration; as well as external research, student interviews, and focus groups.

Get up to speed on the next iteration of the Open SUNY vision and design by seeing the attached document (OpenSUNYPresentation201309.pdf) that was the basis for a discussion with the SUNY Presidents two weeks ago. We will be scheduling a webinar to further discuss the emerging shape of Open SUNY the week of October 14th, details to follow in the next week.

Also, be sure to check out the recently launched Open SUNY information website (http://commons.suny.edu/opensuny) for more information (e.g., FAQs) as well as a means to share more information and ideas with the cross-system Open SUNY team.

2. How you can continue to engage with the development of Open SUNY

Raise your hand to become a campus partner. As we shared in the regional sessions, we are looking for campuses that want to lead-and benefit from-the Open SUNY effort. SUNY Presidents received a call from the Chancellor and Provost to participate in the January launch of Open SUNY-and we wanted to make sure you heard about this opportunity as well. We are looking for campus partners who will engage with the launch of Open SUNY effort in two specific ways:

a. Nominate a degree program: The Open SUNY launch will include a limited release of existing online-enabled degree programs with distinctive Open SUNY elements, including engaging instructional technology, experiential learning, and student advisory services. As publicity for Open SUNY kicks into high gear with the January launch, these programs will be spotlighted as some of SUNY's premier online degrees. In addition, selected programs will act as design partners, helping to flesh out student, faculty, and institutional supports that will most effectively drive high quality online-enabled learning across the system. Please submit nominations via this link (https://docs.google.com/a/suny.edu/forms/d/1smU_BnaCL6vs1XszQJ3uFJFtY-4lq3v6eiaKJeZVevE/viewform) by Friday, October 4, at 5 pm.

b. Share a proven online resource: The SUNY system is full of incredible tools, best practices, and lessons learned from over twenty years of online education investments. By sharing a proven resource with the Open SUNY effort, you will expand the impact of your existing online-enabled capabilities and help shape the design of Open SUNY. These resources could take the form of faculty supports (e.g., proven faculty training), student supports (e.g., experience with online remedial tutoring), and institutional supports (e.g., intellectual property policies). Please share details about the resource you would like to share via this link (https://docs.google.com/a/suny.edu/forms/d/1Y6nWa2_2-lxhKakFbdz_y39pbZlKJkstJrvwmsejWQ4/viewform)  by Friday, October 4, at 5pm.

Additionally, we need your help in ensuring that your entire campus community is aware of Open SUNY. Please use the materials from the regional sessions or the documents attached to this message to share the news of Open SUNY. Also, please pass along the information website (http://commons.suny.edu/opensuny). The site includes a feedback survey that members of the SUNY community can complete. We ask that you proactively identify meetings where Open SUNY could be incorporated into the agenda to help broaden awareness and foster dialogue about this important endeavor.

3. Outputs from the Open SUNY regional sessions

Learn about what we heard in the other Open SUNY regional sessions at our information website: http://commons.suny.edu/opensuny

Check out the unattributed notes from each regional engagement session or see the key themes in a quick-to-grasp word cloud. We will be adding additional pieces from the regional sessions, including photos and posters showing online-enabled learning success stories from campuses soon (this can be found in the "On Tour" section).

Spend a few minutes discovering how you might benefit from collaboration with another SUNY campus. You will find the full set of Gives and Gets from the regional sessions attached. You may recall that these were: a) offers (Gives) that you made to possibly share or support other SUNY campuses or b) desires (Gets) for assistance or partnership from another SUNY institution. It is easy to scan, search, or sort this to find another institution that could provide a boost to your online-enabled learning efforts and/or help you enhance student learning at your institution.

If you have any questions, feel free to send an email to [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> and we will get you the answers you need as quickly as possible.

Sincerely,

Kaitlin Gambrill
Associate Vice Chancellor

Carey Hatch
Associate Provost for Academic Technologies and Information Services