TBers,

Are we at an inflection point with technology?  Can this Internet of Things (The Cloud)  bring down the barriers to using IT as it appears to be doing?  Will it enable individuals, businesses, and institutions to not have to service the existing IT  infrastructure?  To by-pass it?  Will it give us capacity on demand with an end user simple elegant interface?  The answers to these questions matter. It is one of the underling premises of Open SUNY.

I don’t have a crystal ball and I am keenly aware of technologies failed promises of the past.   Still, I can’t help but think that this time feels different.   I feel like we are at an inflection point.  That radical change in IT is coming… and it will allow individuals, groups, business, schools, etc.  to build capacity on demand, quickly and easily with a simple user interface.  Look at Facebook, SurveyMonkey, Dropbox, Google Docs, VoiceThread, Vimeo, Flickr, LinkedIn, etc.  It is only the beginning.  What will we do with an Internet that has our cars, homes, toaster ovens, and everything else connected to it?

SUNY College at Oneonta Oneonta, New York 13820

fax:   607-436-3677