To learn more about COTE and Open SUNY:

COTE NOTE

COTE

Community

Open SUNY

Webinars

Open SUNY FAQ

Dear Open SUNY Fellow:

We are pleased to announce a monthly speaker series for the Open SUNY Center for Online Teaching Excellence (COTE) Community.

Dr. Kamil Hamaoui, a psychology Instructor from Westchester Community College in the COTE Community of Practice Exemplar, Coach, and Mentor role, will be featured in the first COTE Fellow Chat. Dr. Hamaoui will share what he knows about "Student-Driven Critical Thinking in Online Discussions." This chat, in our Learning Effectiveness theme, is intended to showcase and share effective practices from members of our community, and to support networking, interaction, and excellence in online teaching and learning practices.

This event will take place online on Wednesday, May 14 at 12:00 PM eastern. The live 20-minute lunchtime chat will be followed by a real time online sharing session, where participants will be invited to ask questions, share resources, and share what they know on the topic. The hashtag for the event is #COTEchat

We have produced "COTE NOTE" as a companion resource for the Chat, to promote this event, and for you to learn more about this topic.

This event is open to all, so please share this invitation broadly with anyone you feel may be interested. If you are unable to join the live presentation, each program in the series will be recorded. Access information for the event and the recording is appended below.

We are very excited to share this first Open SUNY COTE Community event with you and hope you will be able to join us for the first Fellow Chat on May 14!

Alex, Martie, Patricia, Lisa, Christine, and Debbie
Open SUNY Center for Online Teaching Excellence Community Team

Alexandra M. Pickett
Associate Director
SUNY Learning Network

Martie Dixon
Assistant Academic Dean, Distance Learning & Alternate Programs
Erie Community College

Patricia Aceves
Director of the Faculty Center in Teaching, Learning & Technology
Stony Brook University

Lisa Dubuc
Coordinator of Electronic Learning
Niagara County Community College

Christine Kroll
Assistant Dean for Online Education, Graduate School of Education
University at Buffalo

Deborah Spiro
Assistant Vice President for Distance Education
Nassau Community College

To Join the Fellow Chat:
https://sas.elluminate.com/m.jnlp?password=M.83DA81C4B77DFBAD9C9AAD2BAB73FC&sid=2012301

To View a Recording:
https://sas.elluminate.com/mrtbl?suid=M.30DA45F71E5F98D30770B2ABA2C13B&sid=2012301

About Fellow Chats:

The Fellow Chat speaker series is a signature event produced by The Open SUNY Center for Online Teaching Excellence (COTE) for Open SUNY Fellows in the COTE Community of Practice.

Open SUNY Fellows have committed to sharing their knowledge for the benefit of all members of the Community. Each Fellow Chat features original work, effective practices, research, and innovations of Open SUNY Fellows. The event is open to all.

If you are interested in sharing what you know with the COTE Community of Practice, submit a proposal: http://commons.suny.edu/cote/call-for-proposals-cote-community-speaker-series/

About Kamil Hamaoui:

I am currently a full-time Psychology Instructor at Westchester Community College in Valhalla, New York, where I have been teaching since September of 2013. Prior to my position at WCC, I was a full-time Psychology Instructor at Everett Community College in Everett, WA. I have been teaching online for 8 years and have used a number of learning management systems (Blackboard, Angel, and Canvas). I have taught General Psychology, Abnormal Psychology, Developmental Psychology, and Human Sexuality online. In 2013, I completed an intensive, online workshop on the Quality Matters rubric and process.

I received my Ph.D. in Psychology from the University of California, San Diego, in 2006. My doctoral dissertation was in the area of music perception. After entering teaching as a profession, I have taken a strong interest in critical thinking. In 2008 and 2010, I participated in critical thinking workshops hosted by the Foundation for Critical Thinking. I developed and led a series of critical thinking professional development workshops at Everett Community College in the fall of 2010, 2011, and 2013.

I regularly assess my instruction, both informally and formally, and presented the findings of a study comparing the learning effectiveness of live lectures vs. video lectures at the 35th Annual National Institute on the Teaching of Psychology in 2013. I am currently undertaking a qualitative study investigating students' experiences with online testing.