From: "Nepkie, Janet" <[log in to unmask]>
Date: May 11, 2015 at 9:23:24 PM EDT
To: FACT2 Representatives member discussion list <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: [fact2-reps] FW: Memo from Associate Provost Carey Hatch - Time Sensitive Coursera Announcement

Hello, Campus Reps,
As we near the end of this semester and prepare for our travel to CIT, I’m glad to be able to send you this important announcement and ask you to share this information widely on your campus.  We value your dedication and willingness to reach out to your colleagues with this good news about SUNY’s work with Coursera, including the availability of funds to work on specific Coursera projects.  Thanks, in advance, for your help.
Janet Nepkie, FACT² Chair

May 11, 2015

MEMORANDUM

To:  SUNY Campus Chief Academic Officers

From: Carey Hatch, Associate Provost

Subject:  Time Sensitive Coursera Announcement

As you are aware, SUNY has a contract with MOOC platform provider Coursera.  We will be hosting a WebEx session on Tuesday, May 19th at 10am (details below) to discuss the Coursera announcements below. Please forward this information to any campus faculty, deans and department chairs who may be interested in exploring this opportunity::

1)  Coursera has alerted SUNY to a rapid, competitive RFP process to create Specializations, a series of courses leading to a capstone project.  Several of our campuses are well positioned to respond by focusing on existing academic content that can be formatted for massive online distribution.  The potential impact is significant.  John Hopkins University has been has been extremely successful in providing learning opportunities with their Data Science specialization.  There is also an opportunity to generate considerable revenue through the Coursera Specialization Certification process.   To encourage creation of content beginning this summer, Coursera has offered:

·         Up to $100,000 advance on production costs (to be recouped from Verified Certificate revenue from the specializations)

·         Instructional Design, Marketing and Project Management support

·         Additional production support as needed (graphic design, post production)

The RFP’s are very targeted, and currently limited to the following content areas.  Detailed information and proposal forms are provided below:

    Social Media Marketing (Word, PDF): learn key strategies, tools and techniques to implement an effective Social Marketing campaign

    People Management (Word, PDF): learn the essential skills of structuring, managing and improving teams

    Business Strategy (Word, PDF): learn to formulate and execute strategy in a dynamic global marketplace

    Data for Managers (Word, PDF): learn how to interpret data and work effectively with a team of Analysts/Data Scientists

    Introduction to Analytics (Business Analytics) (Word, PDF): learn to harness data to inform business decisions and judgments

    Data Analysis Fundamentals (Word, PDF): learn modeling and predictive analytics

    Video Game Design (Word, PDF): become a video game entrepreneur by learning to design and engineer video games

     iOS Application Development and Design (Word, PDF): learn the fundamentals of iOS application development

2)  Also, Coursera has announced that the multinational technology company Splunk will be offering a $100,000 grant to a selected Coursera partner to produce a Specialization in Big Data, which will be further supplemented by production support resources by Coursera if desired.

    Big Data (Splunk) (Word, PDF): learn the key tools and techniques to harness Big Data

The Announced timeline is as follows:

    May 25: Expressions of Interest Due

    June 1: Proposal Submission Deadline

    June 5: Selection Deadline

    August 1: Specializations Announcement Date

    September 15: First course in Specialization Launches

    Mid October: Second course in Specialization Launches

    Mid November: Third course in Specialization Launches

    December: Full Specialization Launches

SUNY will host a WebEx conference call to all campuses that intend to express interest in this opportunity on Tuesday, May 19th at 10am.  Please Dial: 1-855-830-3230, CODE: 232 538 8451.  Questions regarding this opportunity may be sent in advance to [log in to unmask].

Please forward this announcement to any campus faculty, deans and department chairs who may be interested in exploring this opportunity.

---
You are currently subscribed to fact2-reps as: [log in to unmask].