607-436-2701
Director TLTC
SUNY Oneonta

On Sep 15, 2015, at 2:14 PM, Cannon, Nancy <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:

Jennifer,

The college did have a subscription to Turn-It In a few years back.  From a librarians point of view, the problem was that it did not include data from subscription library databases.   Apparently this is still the case:

From https://www.umuc.edu/library/libresources/turnitin.cfm

"Turnitin has a database of over a million papers and assignments sent to them by students and teachers, a digitized version of the Gutenberg Collection of Literary Classics, and papers pulled from the Internet and various "paper mills," (i.e., services that sell term papers). However, the Turnitin database currently does not search books or articles in subscription databases available through the UMUC Library Databases. It may not find matching text from those sources or from a subscription database such as The New York Times on the Web unless those materials also appear in assignments previously sent to Turnitin.  For those resources, it is best to search the UMUC Library Databases and/or supplement your Turnitin review by using a Web search engine (e.g., Ask, Google, etc.)"

Nancy Cannon, Milne Library

From: Teaching Breakfast List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Withington, Jennifer
Sent: Tuesday, September 15, 2015 1:20 PM
To: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Turn-It In

Would love to hear your thoughts on Turn-It In.
This article from the Chronicle covers some issues.
http://chronicle.com/article/My-Love-Hate-Relationship-With/232887/

Now, even with many students in Biol 180, I do not tend to use the service.
It is not free at SUCO yet, but I have heard that many faculty are requesting the school get a license and link it to Bboard.
For those of you who use it, what do you like?  What not?
Are there certain papers you really like it for?
For those of you who do not, why not?

I am concerned about student papers that, by design, follow a prescribed format (lab reports) and their hypotheses and predictions by necessity should be very similar.

Jennifer Withington
Assoc. Professor of Biology
SUNY Oneonta
116 Science I