Greetings all.

I attended The Teaching Professor Conference over the weekend.
One of the sessions I attended was on how to get our students to ask better questions (e.g.: in class, assigned to run a discussion).
The presenter discussed that often times our students don't know what a good question is like.  They tend to be thinking at the knowledge level and so ask questions that have targeted factual answers- not ones that generate good discussion.
The speaker put together a set of question 'forms' or 'blanks' to give to the students as starting points and said they have really helped his students to ask better questions in class and better ones when they were asked to lead discussions .
I think they might be a useful place for many of us, and so I have attached this list of question forms for you.

Jennifer Withington
Assoc. Professor of Biology
SUNY Oneonta
116 Science I