Jennifer: I'm not current on the research on this but I do know that students need to learn how to take a test. If they have opportunities to use the same thinking skills in class and/or on other assignments then they can apply them on the exams. I found that students expect that simple memorization will prepare them, and good tests like you describe can make them feel that they were tricked. joanne

Sent from my iPhone