Hello TBers.  Welcome back for another semester!

This is a reminder that there is a Teaching Breakfast tomorrow (September 14) from 8 to 9:30am outside Starbucks.  Even if you can't come right at 8am, come join the conversation.  Hope to see you then!

Here's a good article from the Learn Well Projects called Why Good Students Do "Bad" in College<https://www.thelearnwellprojects.com/thewell/why-good-students-do-bad-in-college-proven-insights-2/> (https://www.thelearnwellprojects.com/thewell/why-good-students-do-bad-in-college-proven-insights-2/).  The first half looks at who these students are and why they often get missed for academic help.  The part I find interesting is the second half that looks at three big reasons for this and ways to help students overcome these reasons.  They are:

  1.  The 80/20; 20/80 Principle
  2.  Immobile Thinking
  3.  Studying in "Hope-So Land"

I know many of you already do lots of great activities to help your students transition from high school study habits to college study habits.  So please feel free to bring some ideas to share if you'd like.

Additionally, the TLTC has created a Faculty Lounge area in Blackboard where we can continue some of these conversations.  If you are interested in being added to this space, let me know and I'll send you instructions.  We are going to create online discussions around each of these topics so that those who can't be there in person can add their thoughts if they would like.

Hope the start of the semester is going well for you all!

Chilton

Chilton Reynolds
Instructional Technology Support
Technology Training Coordinator
COIL Nodal Network Coordinator
Teaching, Learning, and Technology Center (TLTC)
SUNY Oneonta, Oneonta NY 1820
Phone: 607-436-2673