As everyone is continuing to work on courses this summer and mostly staying home, the TLTC is continuing the Teaching Breakfast Online through July and August.  We will be using Office 365 Teams for these calls on Thursday mornings for the rest of the summer.  The next Summer TB Online is tomorrow, Thursday, July 16, from 8:30 - 10:00am.  The TLTC is offering a place to come together online to talk about the new modalities you are using to teach and hopefully get a few answers.  If you are free at all during this time, please feel free to join the conversation.   We will be connecting to the TB Online through Office 365 Teams: Join Microsoft Teams Meeting<https://teams.microsoft.com/l/meetup-join/19%3ameeting_MTc5NWIzMmMtNjY5YS00NTk4LTk4NmQtYWM1NDc5ZjQ5NGE1%40thread.v2/0?context=%7b%22Tid%22%3a%22b2c9b1a8-d1ad-4c9f-9172-728a8c08eb65%22%2c%22Oid%22%3a%22acdbd4c6-8ceb-4ccb-b54d-35c4ab20321f%22%7d>

Over the summer we will explore specific topics around best practices for different teaching modalities.  Our current focus is on creating more critical and creative thinking opportunities in online activities.

We are now in the 4th week of the TLTC Course Refresh Weekly Challenge.  These activities are built to help faculty focus on specific tasks to work on for your fall courses as we prepare for the possibility of different teaching modalities.  Each challenge is based on the TLTC's simplified OSCQR (OPEN SUNY Course Quality Rubric) checklist<https://teaching-learning-technology-center.sunycreate.cloud/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/OSCQR-1-page.pdf>. We hope that as you build your course(s), the checklist is helpful as some of the points are simple and mechanical and some are deeper and get to how a course can be designed and how students are evaluated.

Here is the Week 4 challenge:
Select an activity for a class you will be using this fall.  Try to modify that activity to provide more opportunities for learners to be puzzled (the notion of adequate challenge and perplexity), giving them the opportunity to recognize problems and construct knowledge through collaboration and interaction (collaborative inquiry).  Here are some ideas to refresh your course:

  *   Include reflection as part of project assignments. Have learners reflect on the process they went through completing a project, and how that process impacted their learning.
  *   Create peer review groups to encourage learners to learn from each other, and help each other construct new knowledge.
  *   Create a scenario-based discussion forum, and assign roles to each learner.
  *   Have learners present a proposed project or research topic to the class to solicit feedback that they can then integrate that feedback into their own work.
  *   Create a simple weekly challenge to encourage creative thinking. For example, have learners share one related resource to the module topic, and share why it matters to them, and what value it brings to the course.

Supporting Materials:

  *   OSCQR Video Explanation for Creating Activities to Develop Higher Order Thinking Skills<https://youtu.be/GwLRnHs3Ug4> (9:45): (https://youtu.be/GwLRnHs3Ug4)
  *   OSCQR - Critical Thinking Explanation and Suggestions<https://oscqr.suny.edu/standard30/> (https://oscqr.suny.edu/standard30/) - Make sure to scroll to the bottom of the page for some great suggestions and examples

Examples

  *   Using a Guided Approach to Support Critical Thinking in Online Discussions<https://topr.online.ucf.edu/using-a-guided-approach-to-support-critical-thinking-in-online-discussions/> (https://topr.online.ucf.edu/using-a-guided-approach-to-support-critical-thinking-in-online-discussions) From the Teaching Online Pedagogical Repository (TOPR)
  *   Ed Origami's Bloom's Digital Taxonomy Quick Sheet<https://edorigami.edublogs.org/files/2012/01/Blooms-quicksheets-281yv1b.pdf> - Provides examples of different digital activities organized around Blooms Taxonomy
  *   Creativity, Collaboration, and Student  Choice Using Digital Storytelling<https://topr.online.ucf.edu/creativity-collaboration-student-choice-using-digital-storytelling/> (https://topr.online.ucf.edu/creativity-collaboration-student-choice-using-digital-storytelling/)
  *   Digitalizing Gallery Walks: A Method for Student-Centered Feedback and Engagement<https://topr.online.ucf.edu/digitalizing-gallery-walks-method-student-centered-feedback-engagement/> (https://topr.online.ucf.edu/digitalizing-gallery-walks-method-student-centered-feedback-engagement/)

I look forward to talking more about your ideas about creating more critical and creative thinking opportunities in online activities if you are able to join us.  See you Thursday if you can make it!

Chilton

Chilton Reynolds
TLTC Coordinator
COIL Campus Coordinator
Teaching, Learning, and Technology Center (TLTC)
SUNY Oneonta, Oneonta NY 13820
Phone: 607-436-2673