Hello all!

Welcome to our new series on Talking Teaching.  We will be meeting every other Thursday morning to talk about issue with teaching and learning.  If this sounds similar to Teaching Breakfast, that’s because it is.  We wanted to shift the focus a bit to start the conversation around specific topics that would be useful in the classroom and allow everyone to come join the conversation if you are interested.  We will meet both in person and virtually, so if you feel comfortable joining the conversation in person, come on over; if you would rather meet via Teams, hop on your computer!  This will continue to be a place to gather and talk about issues that affect both you and your students in the classroom. Here is the information for joining if you are able:

Our first topic for Talking Teaching explores steps we can take to help students see the advantages to active learning in the classroom.

  1. 5 Ways to Ease Students Off the Lecture and Into Active Learning – This article from the Chronicle of Higher Education explores the perceived lack of instruction in courses without as much lecturing, even when students are learning more in the classroom.  It lists ways to help students become more aware of their own learning, including: Routine check-ins with students, working on transparency in the class, managing student anxiety, and working to unlearn previous ways of teaching.

We look discussing ways to help your students be more confident with their own learning in your classroomWe hope to see you on Thursday morning for Talking Teaching (September 28) if you can make it!

Chilton

Chilton Reynolds

Director, The Faculty Center for Teaching, Learning & Scholarship

The Faculty Center for Teaching, Learning & Scholarship

SUNY Oneonta, Oneonta NY 13820

Email: [log in to unmask]

Phone: 607-436-2673

Chilton

Chilton Reynolds

TLTC Interim Director

Teaching, Learning, and Technology Center (TLTC)