Join us for a special edition of Talking Teaching, with a focus on Information literacy (IL) and artificial intelligence (AI). Megan Palmer and Alayna Vander Veer, Reference and Instruction Librarians at Milne, will be with us to guide a conversation on AI from the perspective of library research and information literacy. Our guests will share some thoughts from the library and are eager to hear about your perspectives on and experiences with AI in the “post-ChatGPT” era. Information literacy is a core competency in SUNY’s new general education framework, and the emergence of generative artificial intelligence makes skills associated with it more vital than ever.

Librarians have been addressing AI’s push into the information sphere for years. Currently, many are brainstorming ways to incorporate AI usage in information practices and to educate students about the limitations of these technologies. We’ll begin our conversation with the blog post, “ChatGPT as a Tool for Library Research—Some Notes and Suggestions,” by Nick Pavlovski. Pavloski, an academic librarian, outlines a few of the ways generative AI can be utilized as a research partner for undergraduate students. If you’re looking for a more comprehensive view of how AI can fit into information literacy frameworks, check out this article by James and Filgo, 2023.

The Talking Teaching discussions are a space to connect and talk about what's new in the world of teaching and learning.  Each session will have a focus on a specific topic but can also be a space to talk about what is happening in the classroom and identify new modalities to explore.  This is our new iteration of the Teaching Breakfast.

We will continue to meet both in person and virtually, so if you feel comfortable participating in person, we'd love to have you in the room; if you would rather meet via Teams, join from your computer.   These sessions will continue to be a place to come together to talk about teaching and hopefully share a few questions and get a few answers.

Join us in person in the Oneonta Room, room 126 (just past the Experiential Learning Center on the first floor of Hunt Union) or virtually in the Talking Teaching teams space.

We look discussing ways to help your students be more confident with their own learning in your classroom.  We hope to see you on Thursday morning for Talking Teaching (April 18) if you can make it!

Chilton

Chilton Reynolds

Director, The Faculty Center for Teaching, Learning & Scholarship

The Faculty Center for Teaching, Learning & Scholarship

SUNY Oneonta, Oneonta NY 13820

Email: [log in to unmask]

Phone: 607-436-2673