TB-L Archives

February 2003

From:
"Greenberg, James" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Feb 2003 08:02:39 -0500
Below is a document some of you may have already seen.  If you can't read this whole thing here are its major points:

Successful professors:

1) Take the initiative to meet and talk with students... their relationship with you is one of the leading factors in their retention (and more importantly) their success.

2) Give students richer assessment and let them see examples of what you expect early on.

3) Don't waste class time.  Know in detail exactly what you want to cover.. pick the important stuff... for each class.

4) Like I learned in Scout training, give positive feedback in public, be critical in private.  Try to foster an environment that is win/win not one that is they can lose.

5) Listen to your students and provide ways they can "talk" to you.  Find out what they understand and don't understand first and then go from there.   I'll add one of my own here... constantly probe students for misconceptions... every class...

6) Get students to work together in class and outside of class.  Remember knowledge is socially constructed, so get them constructing.

7) This is the one the TLTC is all about: Sharpen The Saw... that is take the time to modify and rethink your course and to think of ways you can get the concepts to your students.  Technology can help sometimes but so can I walk in the woods.  Another way is to attend Teaching Breakfasts, or chat with colleagues about what they do.