TB-L Archives

April 2012

From:
"Pence, Harry" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Apr 2012 08:13:26 -0400
Dear Friends,
Many years ago I posted a comment to an education list suggesting that if we really believed that the purpose of student evaluations was to improve teaching, there would be a well-established process to help a professor respond to bad evaluations and improve his/her ratings.  Lacking that, student evaluations just become a way for an institution to look good and have little to do with improving teaching.  At that time, I also cited a study that showed that the way for a professor to improve student evaluations was to give students more control over the unimportant parts of the class, i.e. let them vote on what day the examination would be held, etc.  I was amazed when this post got reposted to several bulleting boards, although I shouldn't have been surprised.

Here is an equally distressing study that asks what exactly is being measured when we do student evaluations.

http://derekbruff.org/blogs/tomprof/2012/04/16/tp-msg-1170-the-role-of-student-evaluations-in-tenure-and-promotion/

Just another posting from the Twilight Zone,

Harry

Harry E. Pence
SUNY Distinguished Teaching Professor Emeritus
SUNY Oneonta