TB-L Archives

October 2012

From:
"Jagels, Rick" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Oct 2012 09:39:46 -0400
Harry- my short answer is yes.  I see technology as a tool used by an educated or educating human.  I'd go a step further and claim that school or a degree is not necessary for a liberal education.  Ivan Ilich in "Deschooling Society" observes that we tend to confuse an institution with the aims of an institution; healthcare is not necessary or sufficient for health, as school is neither necessary or sufficient for education.  I also think of Louis L'Amour's autobiography, "Education of a Wandering Man" as an example of curiosity and desire to learn satisfied schoolessly.  Medieval universities considered a liberal education composed of seven subjects broken down into the trivium and quadrivium- the trivium, grammar, logic, rhetoric necessary and prefatory to the quadrivium -arithmetic, geometry, music and astronomy.  I believe the early German universities placed strong emphases on "philology" a mixed study of language and history, which today might encompass cultural awareness- or diversity!
I wax pedantic to assert that these respectable examples of liberal arts education did not include specific study of the tools of that study, I assume scholars learned how to sharpen a quill, as students are encouraged to learn software.

Regarding your link, I'm reminded of the joke about the secretary applying for a job being asked, "How many words a minute can you type?" her reply, "Well, how many words a minute can you speak?".  I have a vague feeling that the information half-life we speak of in certain subjects is some kind of straw man argument for changing the basic idea of a liberal education (though, perhaps a real concern for a technical education.)  I just don't see how a shift to technologically based instruction is part of the liberal education discussion.  If I cannot inspire the urge to curiosity, content understanding, mastery of logic and thought, or love of learning at the lectern, odds are I can't do it with a computer.

Thanks for your always provocative posts.
Rick Jagels