TB-L Archives

November 2018

From:
"Nowak, Rhea" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Nov 2018 14:27:27 +0000
Thanks for the article! Wish I could have been there for the discussion (I teach at 8am on T/Th). This topic is very much on my mind, and the findings of the article are similar to my own. Our current students are much more risk adverse than any I encountered before. However, over the semester I can get them to step out into the unknown. By discussing that "not-knowing" and yet still going ahead and making something to find out is ok. Emphasizing that this is an effective creative and learning strategy helps. Having them practice this in many situations will be key.

The article touched on something else I feel is crucial. "Yes, iGens don’t seem to possess the creative skills necessary, but they also seem to lack the necessary critical thinking." I, and many others, see critical and creative thinking as intimately linked. As a result we can teach both in many situations. We just need to think through, creatively and critically,  how we want to do this 😉

best,

Rhea

Rhea Nowak

Associate Professor of Art