TB-L Archives

October 2018

From:
"Nowak, Rhea" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Oct 2018 15:15:44 +0000
Two direct quotes form the article that stood out to me:

The use of rubrics can also help remove bias from grading (Allen and Tanner, 2006) by increasing grading consistency. Perhaps most importantly, sharing grading rubrics with students can support them in identifying where their thinking has gone wrong and promote learning (Jonsson and Svingby, 2007; Reddy and Andrade, 2010).

In addition, self-evaluation of one’s own work using the instructor’s rubric can build metacognitive skills in assessing one’s own confusions and making self-corrections. Such evaluations need not take much time, and they have the potential to provide feedback that is meaningful and integrated into the learning process. In summary, both self- and peer-evaluation of work are avenues for providing meaningful feedback without formal grading on correctness that can positively influence students’ learning

best,

Rhea

Rhea Nowak
Associate Professor of Art