TB-L Archives

September 2014

From:
"Nepkie, Janet" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Sep 2014 02:28:58 +0000
Jim,
Thanks for sharing this thoughtful article about online learning and use of Pearson materials.  While I support the development of online learning, I agree with those who worry that if a large provider like Pearson begins to supply most of the educational materials for classes, this single source of information might contribute to the homogenization and standardization of education in ways that will be harmful to student learning.
Pearson has found ways to profit through the use of standardized materials, but that company is certainly not the first to advocate the use of common materials and common goals.  While it's easy for me to see why our national government might wish to help ensure a good education for every child, there are ample data to show that George Bush's insistence on a standardized test for all children did not improve instruction.

The article had me a bit puzzled as I tried to understand who made the decisions to use prepackaged Pearson materials in the schools described in the article.  Article VI. § 3 of the SUNY Board of Trustees Policies states that "The University faculty shall be responsible for the conduct of the University's instruction, research and service."  Does this mean that the SUNY faculty would be the group to decide whether to use prepackaged Pearson online courses?

My "bottom line" about choice of teaching methods is shared by most of the colleagues to whom I speak.  I'm interested in finding the best method of teaching our students in a manner that will help them gain knowledge and an independent thought process.  If I felt that Pearson could do that job better than I, I would seriously consider using their services.  I've taught online, but I've also taken courses online, and I think my face-to-face teaching and course organization have improved as a result of those experiences.

II'd be interested in seeing data that shows how effective Pearson courses are, and how they compare to face-to-face, hybrid and/or courses using any delivery system that are prepared by individual faculty.
Thanks,
Janet

Dr. J. Nepkie
SUNY Distinguished Service Professor