TB-L Archives

July 2014

From:
"Nepkie, Janet" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Jul 2014 13:52:00 +0000
Hello, all
The Teaching Breakfast group was started many years ago to provide answers to Rhea's question.  Under Mike Siegal's leadership at that time, and now under Jim Greenberg's leadership, the Teaching Breakfast group resolved to tailor their discussions around two main ideas:

  1.  Teachers, (including, of course, librarians), instructional support staff, and all other staff involved directly or indirectly with instruction of our students, would meet to share "tips" about successful ways to help students learn.  The original idea was for a teacher or other staff member to present his/her successful method taking no more than five to ten minutes to do so, and then open the discussion to questions or comments from others in attendance.
  2.  The group also agreed that its purpose was NOT to criticize any other group in the college.  No one wanted to waste time playing the "blame game."  We simply wanted to share time with others who were willing to meet at 8 a.m. to solve problems or suggest effective measures for imparting knowledge and helping students to retain and USE that knowledge.

Rhea has asked, "What can I do to make a difference to our students?"   I believe that each of us in the group has at least one answer that can be presented in 5 minutes or less.  I hope we will do so when we meet again next September.  We might wish to begin that discussion this summer via this listerv. I look for concrete, specific methods, classroom (including online) practices that have been shown to improve learning.

I also hope we can show the effectiveness of our "tips" on successful teaching through assessment the group member feels is relevant and accurate.
Originally, this group did not meet to discuss theories, no matter how intriguing they might be.  Instead, we gathered to share successful practice and to show data or share anecdotes that proved the success of those practices.  Thank you, Rhea, for asking a question that allowed thoughts about our purpose to be renewed.
Janet

Dr. J. Nepkie
SUNY Distinguished Service Professor
of Music and Music Industry