TB-L Archives

February 2015

From:
"Withington, Jennifer" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Feb 2015 20:40:39 +0000
Perhaps a future discussion topic for TB?

I have a sense from students in Biol 180 and Biol 100 (and other classes with some calculations) that they have had a calculator in their hands for so long, that they no longer know their math facts.  They struggle to multiply by 100 or 1000!  or divide by 2 or a multiple of 10.  They have no concept of reducing fractions nor how to estimate.  I feel for our college math professors who deal with this daily.

Dr. Jennifer Withington
Asst. Professor of Biology
SUNY Oneonta
116 Science I