TB-L Archives

May 2011

Date:
Mon, 2 May 2011 09:01:28 -0400
Jim,

Thanks for asking these important questions about demonstration of professional growth as they may relate to decisions for retention, promotion, tenure.  I have a departmental meeting at 8:30 on the date of the next TB, so I will only be able to be present for the first few minutes of our TB gathering.

In the past several years, I've been increasingly concerned about shared departmental purpose and perception of value.  These issues are part of the existence (or lack) of departmental collegiality and accomplishment. In an effort to find some common goals, the  Music Department Personnel Committee created a statement of Departmental Purpose, Service, Excellence and Evaluation.  We presented it for departmental approval earlier this semester and I am pleased to say that it was accepted by the department in a unanimous vote. Candidates for renewal, promotion and continuing appointment may choose to include it with their other materials for review. I hope this statement will also be used when our administration makes decisions about discretionary salary increases.

 If we are ever able to add new faculty, we will certainly show the document to those people, as well.  I will request that  this short statement be included on our Music Department website and as part of our efforts to retain accreditation.

Perhaps other departments will find crafting a statement of shared purpose to be an interesting idea.

I hope that our TB electronic and face-to-face discussion of the criteria for the SUNY Chancellor's Award for Excellence and the Distinguished Faculty Ranks will also be extensive.  I chair the University Faculty Senate Programs & Awards Committee, which has responsibility for the language describing these two programs.  I would like the committee to review the language for the Chancellor's Awards and the Distinguished ranks, so all suggestions you may offer will be gratefully received.

Thanks

Janet

Dr. J. Nepkie

SUNY Distinguished Service Professor