TB-L Archives

August 2021

From:
"Koch, Michael" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Aug 2021 15:00:59 +0000
Dear colleagues,

I have yet to read the article Rhea has linked in her email, but it is important to observe that one source of faculty overwork is voluntary initiatives that are communicated to faculty as if they were not voluntary.

For example, this morning I received an email from one of the college’s deans regarding the “Sophomore Intiative” that stated “If possible, volunteer.” If we are truly being asked to volunteer, should it not have said something such as, “If you would like to contribute to this initiative, please volunteer”?

This is especially problematic as a message to faculty seeking renewal, continuing appointment, and tenure.

With regards,

Michael

Associate Professor Michael Koch, D.A.

Philosophy Department