TB-L Archives

January 2003

From:
"Nepkie, Janet" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Jan 2003 17:36:37 -0500
Hi, TBers.
Here are my answers to questions Jim posed:

        Do you put students into groups or teams?
Yes
        How? (Self select, etc)
I make up the groups
        Does it work?
For certain projects, up to a point.
        Do the assess each others work?  What are issues with this?
Yes.  they do assess each others' work, just to make sure they all READ each other's work.  The assessment is a requirement of the project but does not figure into my grade unless the students assessor has NOT done the work.  Last semester, I tried to make the assessment more valuable to the students by giving a possibility for BONUS points, but it proved much, much too cumbersome for me.
        Pros/Cons on this from your perspective.
Pros - I use the group method to deal with issues that interest the students and to try to find out WHICH issues do, in fact, interest students.  In my Legal Issues class, for example, I have student groups identify ethical problems in the music industry (there are an abundance) and have student comments on a listserv as to what is "right" and "wrong."
        How do you deal with those that go along for the ride or don't carry their share?
I try very hard not to have assignments where that is possible. (Each person in the group has to write a paper, etc etc.)