TB-L Archives

March 2003

From:
"Gilbert, Steven" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Mar 2003 10:41:42 -0500
Here's a practical suggestion.  Students often view criticism as
something teachers dish out but don't ever have to take.  They
implicitly believe that teachers become callous, and lose touch with
what it is like to be on the receiving end of a harsh
appraisal of one's work.  And, of course, they are sometimes (often?)
right.  I think it helps to take some time to talk with our students
about OUR OWN RECENT experiences with having our research and writing
evaluated by journal editors and colleagues.  It's especially helpful to
make it personal - to describe how we feel when our favorite paragraph
is bathed in red ink, with scathing personal attacks scribbled in the
margins!  Indeed, reacquainting ourselves with these feelings may help
us better follow the golden rule - doing unto others as we would have
them do unto us!

One other reflection.  Students' perception of the writing process often
differs dramatically from our own (e.g., first pass out of the
wordprocessor = OK vs. third thoroughly revised draft = expected).  I
believe that it is important for us to make clear not only the content
that we expect in their papers, but the process we believe is required
to produce quality work.  Students have no difficulty understanding that
extensive and regular work in the weight room and on the track are
necessary for an athlete to turn in a quality performance on the court;
they need to learn what the analogs to weight training and aerobic
conditioning are in the process of producing a quality paper!

Steve Gilbert

Ps Although I am unable to come to the teaching breakfasts, I really
appreciate that EMAIL exchanges those breakfasts provoke.
Congratulations to all involved.

Steven J. Gilbert, Ph.D
   Professor of Psychology & Department Chair
   State University of New York, College at Oneonta
       127A Fitzelle Hall, Oneonta, NY 13820
   Phone: 607-436-2557      FAX:   607-436-3753
   E-MAIL: [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>
   Web Address: http://www.oneonta.edu/faculty/gilbersj/Stevepage.htm
<http://www.oneonta.edu/faculty/gilbersj/Stevepage.htm>
   Office Hours: M 1-2; T 10-11; W 1-2; Th 11-12
       (Other Office Hours by Appointment)
   Visit the Psychology Department Web Site
      http://www.oneonta.edu/academics/psyweb/
<http://www.oneonta.edu/academics/psyweb/>