TB-L Archives

March 2022

From:
"McKay, Zanna" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Mar 2022 13:09:21 +0000
Hi Chilton I showed up at 1:59 at about nine I must’ve missed understood?

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 29, 2022, at 3:05 PM, Reynolds, Chilton <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Hello all!

Over the past year we have expanded the Teaching Breakfast by meeting weekly and creating two opportunities to join in the conversation: Teaching Breakfast on Thursday mornings and Coffee Chat on Wednesday afternoons.  We are continuing with this schedule for the coming semester with one tweak.  Our plan is to alternate between Teaching Breakfast and Coffee Chats each week.  We will still meet both in person and virtually, so if you feel comfortable participating in person, come on down; if you would rather meet via Teams, hop on your computer!  These spaces will continue to be a place to come together to talk about new modalities you might be using to teach and hopefully share and get a few answers. This week we will be holding our Coffee Chat:

  *   Coffee Chat, Wednesday afternoon, March 30, 2:00-3:00pm: Fitzelle Faculty Lounge, Room 159 and on the Spring 2022 Coffee Chat Teams space<https://teams.microsoft.com/l/meetup-join/19%3ameeting_YzYyNmFhMGEtYmViYi00MTY2LThhMzAtZWIyNzg1YjI4Yjg5%40thread.v2/0?context=%7b%22Tid%22%3a%22b2c9b1a8-d1ad-4c9f-9172-728a8c08eb65%22%2c%22Oid%22%3a%22acdbd4c6-8ceb-4ccb-b54d-35c4ab20321f%22%7d>.

Our readings for this week explore some concepts around internationalization in higher education and ways to cope being in the middle of an intercultural experience.

  1.  The End of Internationalization – The attached article is from the journal International Higher Education and explores the idea of internationalization and what it should look like for campuses in a global age.  The questions on page 5 are useful to rethink how we should reframe this concept.

  2.  Brené Brown, the Messy Middle & Intercultural Learning<https://www.truenorthintercultural.com/blog/brenebrown-messymiddle> – While this article explores ideas from the start of the pandemic, they still resonate in the current moment.  I like the “messy middle” concept as a way to talk about getting our students and ourselves to accept the uncomfortableness of learning.  In this article the focus is on intercultural learning, but it could also be for any learning context.

We look forward to hearing about your ideas of supporting your students through uncomfortable learning.  We hope to see you on Wednesday afternoon for Coffee Chat (March 30) if you can make it!

Chilton

Chilton Reynolds

TLTC Interim Director

COIL Campus Coordinator

Teaching, Learning, and Technology Center (TLTC)

SUNY Oneonta, Oneonta NY 13820

Phone: 607-436-2673