TB-L Archives

November 2011

Date:
Tue, 22 Nov 2011 16:41:52 -0500
HI, Harry,
Thanks for sharing this interesting article about the potential demise of copyright.
The author describes some difficult problems of enforcement of copyright law, while reminding us of the importance of the law itself.

It seem to me that copyright proprietors will need to develop new market solutions for protection and dissemination of their work. What they cannot protect through copyright will be protected by contract, and such contracts may be a great deal more restrictive for content users than the requirements of the current copyright law.  This has already begun, as you know, and will continue as technology increases the ease of copying and distribution.

I'm glad that lawmakers are trying to protect intellectual property, and glad that new business models are being proposed for those forms of intellectual property that cannot, at this time, be protected from unlimited copying.

Based on past history, I'm sure a way will be found to balance the rights of intellectual property owners with the rights of the general  society to use the works created by authors and inventors.  Technology is evolving so very, very quickly that the only path open to us, it seems to me, is for intellectual property owners to look for ways to use the new technology to provide new markets for their works.

No one has ever succeeded at stopping new technology, but technology as discussed in this article is only a means of delivering intellectual property.  I believe we can welcome the new technology while still protecting our intellectual property.

Thanks,
Janet

Dr. J. Nepkie
SUNY Distinguished Service Professor