TB-L Archives

December 2009

From:
Michael Koch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Dec 2009 13:08:31 -0500
It seems that Jay¹s point moves us to a new consideration.

Hume wrote: ³Reason is, or ought only to be slave of passions, and can never
pretend to any other office than to serve and obey them.² (Treatise,
II.III.iii)

I think our leaders understand the evidence quite well, but knowledge does
not entail action. Passionally it is in their interest to appear to do
something but to take as few political and economic risks as possible.
(Which is what the Obama approach amounts to.) Furthermore, believing that
anthropogenic global warming is occurring and that it is politically,
socially, economically, and technologically possible to make a significant
impact on it, does not entail the belief that we ought to. There are those
like Lomborg who recognize the fact but deny the duty.

Better scientific literacy will not change the fact that there is not an
axiological entailment here.

It is a question of values. Do we want ³ethical literacy² as well? This
seems to be the issue here.

Michael K