TB-L Archives

February 2003

From:
"Siegel, Michael" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Feb 2003 08:57:49 -0500
Jim

Thanks for sending this to the list and for continuing to look for things of interest.  It has been my contention for years that the so called debate between teaching and research is a false one.  Both are crucial, of course, but there are some institutions, such as SUCO, that are not set up for high powered, expensive research programs and whose mission is primarily to teach undergraduates.  That does not mean that research cannot be done at such places, nor that students cannot profit immensely from involvement in such research.  It does mean that research productivity should not be used as an important measure to judge tenure or promotion.  When faculty teaching load is as high as it is in order to teach effectively an enormous time investment must be made to the effort of teaching.  Very few people can add a quality research program without stinting on the quality teaching program.  There are answers to this seeming dilemma but it takes creativity and flexibility on the part of the administration as well as time and effort on the part of the faculty.  How do you like them apples??

Mike