TB-L Archives

March 2016

From:
"Greenberg, Jim" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Mar 2016 20:38:32 +0000
Thanks Chilton.  The comments were as interesting as the article.  (Nothing like an educational theory to stir up the emotions!!  Almost as bad as whether kids should ride the bus or not.)   My quick reaction to this is a bit of grouchiness.  Another label  *sigh*.  It sounds like a game of semantics toward motivation.    How do you motivate a child when they are stuck on a math problem?  Is making them believe they can do it a motivator?  Sometimes.  Is not discouraging them with certain language helping their motivation (or at least not making them less motivated)?  Sometimes.  It does seem to make good sense to give them the "keep trying" attitude and also help them where and when they struggle.

Part of the issue here is the time based system we have.  A child can only be allowed to struggle with a math problem for so long before the clock strikes on them.   Sure you can encourage a "growth mindset" in them but for how long before you have to give them the assessment and move on?

Talk to you in the morning at the TB!!

Jim G.