TB-L Archives

August 2005

From:
Achim Koeddermann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Aug 2005 20:42:12 -0400
Dear Jim and all syllabus-users:
when I came long time ago from far shores, the addiction to syllabei struck me - we didn't need them in old Europe...
Indeed, they give the flase impression that all is written in stone - and thus prevent true dialogue, that allows for changes due to needs of both parties; but mutual TRUST is required - and somehow this legalized society trusts only what could stand the ordeal of a hearing or a court of law.
Syllabus distribution is good, I believe today, because it serves as an outline; if it nails rules on walls, it is less good: it ommitts the dialogue function of teaching, which in a socratic method means that all and everything can be questioned - even the wisom of the professor.... And with 78 students in my 8 a.m intro, I am not ready to enter into such open dialogue.  Any suggestions?
your Achim