TB-L Archives

November 2011

Date:
Fri, 18 Nov 2011 08:37:10 -0500
Dear Friends,
I sense a shift in the attitudes with respect to Wikipedia.  This article is only the latest example.

http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2011/11/18/sociology-association-encourages-members-help-improve-wikipedia

Based on surveys I have seen, students commonly use Wikipedia as a starting point for the research process in order to explore unfamiliar topics.  That is exactly what one of the professors suggests that he does in this article.  Is it time higher education told students how to best use Wikipedia, instead of bemoaning the face that it is not a peer-reviewed journal?

Harry

Harry E. Pence
SUNY Distinguished Teaching Professor Emeritus
SUNY Oneonta