TB-L Archives

April 2009

From:
Joanne Curran <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Apr 2009 11:26:07 -0400
I think it would be helpful to see the actual items that make up the
factors that are presented in the summary data. This would give us some
specific weaknesses, and might guide our discussion. For example, are we
talking about having fewer large lecture sections of first year courses,
or are we talking about changing the way that large lecture classes are
conducted? Of course the answer can be "both," but seeing the items
would help me focus on what could indeed be changed.

Anecdotal feedback that I have received from students indicates that
they are not being challenged by coursework in the first year. I don't
know if this is because gen ed forces them to be taking the same general
coursework they completed in high school, or if the expectations are
simply too low.

 Joanne